Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thoughts of a Sixteenth Grade Something: Music and the State of the Soul


So I had some pause for reflection recently, as many people know I like music, I come from a musical family and enjoy most music and I sing a lot. I'm also a huge fan of having theme music, in one of my classes  we always have a question of the day and a couple weeks ago one of the questions was if you had a theme song what would it be. I was very surprised by the number of people who didn't know  how to answer this question, my problem was which of my theme songs to choose here are just a few of the theme songs I've had:
White and Nerdy by Weird Al
Eye of the Tiger from Rocky
Vindicated by Dashboard Confessional
Defying Gravity from Wicked
Out of My League by Steven Speaks

I also had a theme song with every companion on my mission that I had a car with (you listen to more music when you have a car) a couple of those were:
For some must push and some must pull -- Elder Phillips
The Rising -- Elder Bowman

But theme songs are not what really go me thinking about music and the state of the soul, they are just part of the tangental connections. I began thinking about  this because I do not listen to a lot of music currently, even though I like music I don't usually listen to it because if I am listening to something it is normally a podcast. But I opened up my iTunes recently and looked at the playlist called most played. And this is what got me thinking, because it is very telling about the times in your life when you listen to music the most, what I found was that I listen to music when I am depressed. I hadn't thought about it before but I now see that I listened to music a lot before I met Meagan, and now I don't. Its clear what I feel when I listen to music from what my most played songs are:
the number one played song in my iTunes is Defying Gravity from Wicked and number two was Galaxies by Owl City. For me this is highly indicative because I listen to these songs to try and boost my spirits during times when I am down.

Music is a powerful player upon our soul, and I feel it is worth some introspection on our part to see what we listen to and why. I find it very interesting when scripture makes reference to music. In the old testament I think we can place David as the master of music David and his son are attributed with writing the book of Hymns we find in the bible known as psalms. David used music to express his most poignant feelings, both joy and sorrow. My younger sister would say that he used music to uncage his spirit. I think this is something we all can do, and probably it would be healthy to do from time to time. But the lesson of music from David I find most important is that David was a player of the harp and he used his skill on the instrument to free King Saul from the influence of an evil spirit (1 Samuel 16). To me that says volumes about the power of music upon the substance we know as spirit, it can do it to our spirits it can do it to other spirits. I think this elevates our choice in music to one of the most important choices we make each day. The choice we make when we turn on iPod is what we will do to our own spirit, and what spirits we will attract to ourselves. Its something to think about before we push that button.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I'm impressed you remembered all that about uncaging your spirit through music from my concert. I liked this post a lot. I definitely agree with you.