Sunday, October 3, 2010

Politics, Bio, and General Conference

This week started out as one of the most stressful. There just wasn't going to be enough time to do everything, a test in comparative politics, a theory and hypothesis paper do in research and writing, a test in biology, and a writing assignment on early civilization writing in world history. and trying to set things up for homecoming. All this on top of the normal amount of homework in a given week. But through the grace of God who must be in the Testing Center, it turned out everything went fine.
I knew I would have to take my comparative politics test on tuesday and had no idea what to expect because my teacher is brand new just graduated from UCLA. I downloaded a flash card program to my palm pilot and franticly started studying on Monday. Dr. Preece informed us that she had removed the multiple choice section from the test, there went my only glimmer of light. Classes and studying took up all of Monday in addition to the time spent writing the poem for homecoming. Before going to work my FHE group showed up on campus going to the game center to go bowling and they had a spiritual thought with me before I ran to work. After work I ran to the library and attempted to find my way to the room where a group from my class was studying for the test, after finding them I discovered that the group wasn't getting much done and soon everyone disbanded to purse academic achievement on there own.
Tuesday morning was absorbed in studying until I rolled up to campus on my ripstik for devotional. At the Marriot I talked w/ Casey for a while at portal H where he holds down the fort as event staff, I then claimed a set of seats w/ my ripstik and backpack and waited for my friends to arrive while reviewing flash cards on the palm. After Devo I grabbed lunch w/ a couple friends, Robbie and Emily and then, after grabbing a blue book, it was off to New testament where we finished the temptations of Jesus and began the sermon on the mount. New Testament is always an interesting time. Well from the JSB I just went over to the testing center and after receiving my orange soda from the vending machine in the entry way I stood in line to face my doom. Once out of line and with the ominous document in hand I made my way upstairs to the music room. I settled down in my desk, arranged test, scratch paper, blue book and orange soda, and bowed my head in prayer. Now because it was short answer, long answer, and essay, I don't know what score I received, but as I went page by page I was relieved as concepts flowed to my mind and onto the paper. I feel very confident in the answers I gave and left a huge load in the testing center that day. Later on my companion Cache and I home taught our FHE mom Danielle outside the HFAC before she went to work. She and I also confirmed plans for the next day for how and when I would get into her apartment to get things ready for homecoming. Then there was more studying to do, this time with Bianca for History 201's map quiz. Tuesday night was spent trying to gather numbers on home teaching from my district and talking to roomates. I finally dropped into bed at about 1:00, but only after setting my trustee alarm for 6:00. 
Wednesday found me up at six and running like crazy to get ready for school, at seven I was at the creamery. The guy behind the counter greeted me and then came my question "You sell balloons here right?" He sadly shook his head, "Not anymore he responded." I felt everything falling apart. A desperate text left my phone to Danielle's telling her I was riding to Buy Low to see what I could find. the response came back before my bike was unlocked "Hurry" I was off like a shot. Arriving at the grocery store I locked my bike to a cart rack and ran inside, going up to the first cashier I again implored for balloons, I was informed that there were no helium balloons but that there were packages of balloons in isle 10. I looked quickly for what my new readjusted plan called for only to find that not only were there no packs of purple balloons, but there were no purple balloons in any pack. Tough go, I grabbed what I could get and after a run through the check out I was back on the bike to wyview. I stopped at my place and grabbed the poem and then I was down the hill to Danielle and Selina's apartment. Once Danielle had let me in the bag of balloons was open amidst a petition for tape, which I had foolishly left in Pennsylvania. Tape was produced and balloons were blown up and quickly constructed into a pyramid which was placed on the table and the folded poem displaying her name on the outside was taped too. And then we were off to the bus, barely making it on time. School and work slowly absorbed the rest of the day, and my paper got into the box on time. Smoothies were made, the last bus was caught and I dropped exhausted into the chair in the living room while David played the piano. and there on the table was a piece of paper, tapped onto it were popped balloons, artfully arranged to spell the word YES.
Thursday morning found me stabilizing my life once again at the Provo temple, this time doing a inititories with a group of brand new missionaries from the MTC. Then there was preperation for Bio, another class on the sermon on the mount. And a phone study session with my good friend from PA Ashley Gillette, who is majoring in bio. That night I went to a review with my biology TA to get more preped.
Friday was a busy day, fortunately I had found someone to cover my shift friday night so I could attend both my mission reunions that night, but before that could happen the major obstacle of a biology midterm reared its monstrous head. I went to class all day and then after getting my orange soda of course I settled down in the music room again with bowed head. I was very pleased with the way I felt about the test as I left the music room and dropped my bubble sheet of at the counter. In the lobby I located my ID on the screen and felt a huge relief as the word Awesome flashed across the screen. That evening I met up with Cody, Bryan and Sean and we headed for Highland and the Philadelphia reunion, complete with Cheese steaks! After a visit there we were off for Holiday for the HBG reunion. It was fantastic to see so many good friends again. Especially my mission presidents and there wives. 
Saturday marked the beginning of General Conference which just concluded, it was amazing and I truly enjoyed it. Saturday night the three of us went and got some frozen yogurt at a favorite place of mine and Casey's, The frozen spoon, w/ Selina and Danielle.
Sunday was excellent, breakfast and conference at Selina and Danielle's apartment w/ some of the FHE people. Two more great sessions of conference, and a lot to think about during the next six months.
Well that's it for this week, tune in next week folks.

1 comment:

William Reger said...

Forgive me, I'm lost in the details. For whom was the poem? And the balloons? I'm guessing Danielle. I need a flow chart or a cast of characters. And is orange soda a significant ritual? I feel as if I've walked in half way through a very complicated play. I've also been meaning to ask you whether you were in Harrisburg and whether you know a fellow name Walter von Kampen, insurance agent? You may drop me a line at wmreger at gmail dot com, if you are so inclined and can fine the time with any and all answers.